In 2024, the Whole City's Clean-up will be held on Sat 4.5. from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The Whole City's Clean-up will be coming again!
Join the Whole City’s Clean-up and gather a small or larger cleaning team – registration closes on April 19.
Let’s do good together and create a comfortable and safe environment in our city.
In the clean-up, only garbage thrown by people is collected from the city’s public areas, such as bike paths and streets, parks and other public places.
We offer large waste containers and waste bags, if you wish, take a small garbage bag with you from home.
This year, the Whole City’s Clean-up have a Pop Up point in the lobby of the Metso library, if you’re inspired to join the clean-up ex tempore. From the point you can get e.g. a garbage bag for garbage collection and information about where the garbage can be taken. Metso’s Pop Up point is part of the Metso goes GREEN event.
rotvallin molemmin puolin.
How do I organize clean-up?
1. Define the area to be cleaned.
2. Define the person responsible for the clean-up.
3. Define the meeting place for the residents of clean-up and the locations of the waste bins. Note! Waste containers can be placed in a few different places in the clean-up area, so that the carrying distances do not become too long.
4. Fill out the registration form carefully. Registration starts on Wed 20.3. And ends on Friday 19.4.
5. Advertise the clean-up! Electronic advertising is junk-free. You can find the clean-up advertisement template here (only Finnish). The clean-ups can start on Sat 4.5. at a time convenient for the people of clean-up and end at 2:00 p.m. at the latest.
6. Be at the meeting place at the agreed time so that the other clean-uppers can find the right place.
7. Take a look at the clean-up instructions below and the instructions for clean-up people, what and how to clean.
8. Afterwards, fill out a short feedback form about the progress of the clean-up. Among all those who returned the feedback form, 10 gift cards of Pyynikin munkkikahvila worth €20 will be drawn.
Tips for clean-up
How to make the clean-up a communal, inclusive, functional and pleasant event for everyone!
Residents’ committee/association/spa/homeowner’s association/other cooperative offers coffee, buns, doughnuts, pastries, etc.
Grill sausages have been requested and received as a donation from the local grocer at the end of the clean-up.
Plastic bags/bags from shops are good collection bags, in some places the local shopkeeper has donated them to the people of clean-up.
At the same time, for example, the parents’ association organizes a flea market or another event.
Challenge another association or community to join the cleaning crews!
Advertise cleaning places in our area on Facebook and Instagram.
Cleaning places and cleaning areas - Come join the clean-up!
If you feel like joining the Whole City’s Clean-up, you can look at the attached map for a suitable place and join the group. You can also find the meeting place on the map. Feel free to join!
We are updating the map…
Instructions for clean-up
Delivers 1-2 pieces of 600-liter garbage containers with waste bag rolls inside to the pre-arranged location. The rolls can be easily removed from the clean waste container by tilting the waste container on its side.
Collect the garbage cans + possibly the garbage bags next to them and larger garbage found in nature (e.g. car tires, bicycles, batteries) to the correct address right after the clean-ups.
Collection of garbage cans starts on Saturday at 14:00 at the end of the cleaning time, when the collected garbage must be with the waste department.
In the clean-ups, only garbage thrown by people is collected from the city’s public areas, such as bike paths and streets, parks and other public places. It is NOT intended to collect sand or leaves, because their place is not among mixed waste. Sandblasting sand and leaves are mechanically removed from common areas.
Normal garbage is collected
- In the smaller garbage bag you take with you or
- from a large garbage bag by rolling it into the smaller garbage bag
- You shouldn’t fill the garbage bag completely to be able to transport it and the bag can be closed better if it doesn’t fit in the trash can.
- If the large garbage can is full, put a full garbage bag closed next to it.
- You can always empty the garbage in your bag into a large garbage can, because these clean-up wastes do not need to be bagged in garbage cans.
Larger garbage found in public areas (e.g. bikes, batteries, car tires, scrap metal…) is placed next to the waste container.
Hazardous waste (batteries, paints, fluorescent tubes, etc.) do not belong in waste bags or in dustbins!
If you find any larger waste in the public areas (e.g. refrigerator, washing machine, sofa, etc.), report it using the environmental damage notification form.
Wear your own gloves – let’s take care of the safety of the workers!
Our environmental advisor Tiina provides more information about clean-up.
Event in 2023
In 2023, Tampere was cleaned in 54 areas, in a total of 75 different points and by around 1200 people! A total of approximately 2.86 tons of garbage was collected, which is significantly less than the previous year!
Of course, we hope that the amount of garbage would have decreased in Tampere, but part of the decrease in garbage can also be explained by Ylen Miljoona’s garbage bag campaign, inspired by which many people have said that they collect garbage from public areas more actively.
As we told you in connection with the Whole City’s Clean-up, we announced the number of garbage bags collected in the clean-up stalls at 572 pcs (5 kg garbage bags) on the pages of Ylen’s Million Garbage Bags campaign. Go Tampere!
Tampereen Infra, Ekokumppanit, the City of Tampere and Pirkanmaan Jätehuolto thank everyone who participated in the Whole City’s Clean-up on Saturday 6 May 2023.
Event in 2022
In 2022, Tampere was cleaned in 41 areas, by around 500 people! A total of approximately 4.2 tons of garbage was collected! Tampereen Infra, Ekokumppanit, the City of Tampere and Pirkanmaan Jätehuolto would like to thank everyone who participated in the Whole City’s Clean-up on Saturday 7 May 2022.
Event in 2021
In 2021, Tampere was cleaned in a record 53 areas. Ekokumppanit, the City of Tampere and Pirkanmaan Jätehuolto thank everyone who participated in the Whole City’s Clean-up on Saturday 8 May 2021.
Event in 2019
In 2019, Tampere was cleaned in 41 areas. Ekokumppanit, the City of Tampere and Pirkanmaan Jätehuolto thank everyone who participated in the Whole City’s Clean-up on Saturday 5 May 2019. See the photo gallery 2017 of ten cleaning places!